Alpena, MichiganLocal Weather Alerts
There are currently no active weather alerts.

An Alpena staple is destroyed in structure fire

ALPENA, Mich.— The Alpena Fire Department together with other area first responders tackled a fire at the John A. Lau Restaurant Tuesday afternoon that left the building completely destroyed. According to Fire Chief Bill Forbush, the fire accidentally started at the rear of the building after workers were welding.

The fire resulted in the roof of the restaurant collapsing and a power outage in the city of Alpena. The restaurant shares a common wall with the Thunder Bay Theatre leaving smoke and water damage.

When the fire started individuals were inside apartments located above the theatre, but all individuals were able to get out safely. Fire crews were able to save the theatre and no injuries were reported.

The John A. Lau Restaurant building has been standing for 120 years and was scheduled to reopen today. The Combat Readiness Training Center, the Red Cross, Salvation Army and the Alpena Sheriff’s Department assisted on the scene.