Alpena, MichiganLocal Weather Alerts
There are currently no active weather alerts.

Fire at Bagley Street Apartments caused by cigarette

ALPENA, Mich. — No one was injured after a cigarette caused another fire in Alpena Monday morning.

Alpena City Fire Department says its’s the eighth structure fire in the past 18 months caused by improper disposal of smoking materials.

Crews from the North Side Fire Station responded to a call just before 7 a.m. on Monday. The fire was on the back porch of a second-floor apartment at 2030 North Bagley Street.

The department says the fire started because the tenant put a cigarette butt into a plastic flower pot around 11 p.m. on Sunday. When they arrived Monday morning, it had burned through the deck boards and was extinguished aside for embers.