- Agencies/organizations must be non-profit and have a 501(c)(3) status from the IRS
- Agencies/organizations must provide human service programs/projects
- Agencies/organizations service area(s) must serve Alpena, and/or Alcona, and/or Montmorency counties
- Agencies/organizations must be incorporated under the laws of the State of Michigan, or other jurisdictions meeting Michigan standards, as a non-profit entity for a period of no less than two (2) years
- Consideration will be made for funding programs of schools and governmental organizations, as long as they are specific and discreet programs/projects and not covered by tax funds
- New or existing programs can receive funding as long as they meet UWNM criteria
- Programs/projects must meet one or more of the four (4) funding areas:
- Education – Preparing children to enter school and graduate from school.
- Health – Increasing access to health care, nutrition, and health environments.
- Income – Increasing individual and family financial stability.
- Basic Needs – Dedicated to providing a secure existence to all individuals by assisting them with the basic needs in life; food, clothing, shelter, utility services, etc.
UWNM does not fund the following:
- Political campaigns
- Sectarian programs (we will fund a program(s) of a religious organization as long as the program does not include religious content and is open to all).
- Loan payments or deficit spending
- Services normally supported by tax dollars
- Capital campaigns for buildings
Applications are due by 4:00 pm on Monday, March 4. Applications can be picked up at the United Way of Northeast Michigan office inside of the Alpena Alpex. If you’re applying for more than one program, or project you must provide a separate application for each.
United Way contact person is Sonya Thomas. Call 989-354-2221 for more details.