Alpena, MichiganLocal Weather Alerts
There are currently no active weather alerts.

Tuesday’s Werth Road house fire update

Alpena, Mich. – Thankfully, no one was inside the home when it burst into flames in the middle of the night. The Alpena Township Fire Department released new details on Tuesday’s house fire on Werth Road.

The township fire department says an electrical problem may have been the cause of the fire. Investigators believe the fuse box overloaded and sparked flames near the attic, which shows the greatest amount of area damage to the house.

Township Fire Chief Dave Robbins says the community should err on the side of caution and check all smoke detectors in the event a fire starts in their home.

“We always try to encourage people to number one make sure that their heating appliances have been inspected,” says the township chief. “We ask people to double–check their smoke detectors, make sure they’re working. If they’re hard-wired – fine. If they’re not, you should double–check the batteries. Make sure they’re working, and practice their home safety escape plan.”