Just after noon on Wednesday, the Alpena Township Fire Department along with other agencies responded to an explosion and fire on Michigan Avenue.
Upon arrival, crews were able to quickly get the fire under control. No one was inside when first responders arrived except for a family dog that later succumbed to smoke inhalation.
Neighbors reported seeing a white balding man in his late 40’s jump out of a window and drive away. They also say there was a smell of gasoline before the explosion. The owner of home along with her child were found safe away from the house later on. Police believe they have a suspect and are currently trying to locate them.
Alpena Township Fire Chief Mark Hansen said there is significant damage to the home. “There’s a lot of damage inside the structure,” he said. “The outside shell is obviously saved but overall a lot of damage.”
Besser Elementary was put on lockdown at 2 p.m, but school officials would not confirm if it was related to the fire.