Alpena, MichiganLocal Weather Alerts
There are currently no active weather alerts.

Firefighters respond to smoke in Alpena home

ALPENA, Mich. — We all know the phrase “where there’s smoke, there’s fire.”  But that didn’t hold true for Alpena’s first responders on Wednesday.

A family on Taylor Street noticed the smell of smoke in their home yesterday afternoon and called the fire department.

Fire–fighters inspected the building thoroughly, but found no fire as the haze cleared up. They currently suspect that dirty ducts or the furnace is to blame.

Risk Reduction officer Andy Marceau said this is an example why you should get your ducts cleaned regularly.

“It could start lint on fire inside the ducts, which would obviously push out the registers. It’s not something you see very often, but it’s good to keep that air clean anyway. So it’s a win-win on both sides.”

Fire–fighters allowed the family back inside after confirming there was no fire in the building.

Marceau said the homeowners did the right thing by calling 911 and evacuating immediately.