Alpena, MichiganLocal Weather Alerts
There are currently no active weather alerts.

Viral outlet challenge on TikToc causing fire hazards

Teens are getting quite risky with a viral video challenge sparking interest on the app TikToc.

Teenagers from a high school in Massachusetts have taken part in the outlet challenge. It consists of partially inserting a cell phone charger into an electrical outlet, and then sliding a penny down the wall to the exposed prongs. We spoke to City of Alpena Fire Chief Bill Forbush about the social media trend. He says nothing good can come from doing this.

“Metal is an excellent conductor, copper is a super conductor and that’s certainly a possibility of being a burn or receiving an electrical shock, and even a very small electrical shock at 110 volts in some cases [will] throw their heart into an arrhythmia, and even kill people.”

It can also cause damage to wiring, and ignite full–out fires. The National Fire Protection Agency’s Vice President of Outreach says she hopes to communicate how dangerous this truly is. Chief Forbush agrees, and he has one simple message regarding the challenge.

“Please don’t. Although I think many kids have done that, I think I might even remember doing it myself at one point. It is not a good idea. Please don’t.”