ALPENA, Mich.— A fire that broke out at the Decorative International Panel over the weekend was deemed an accident. The Alpena City Fire and Paramedic unit responded to the fire shortly after 2pm Saturday.
According to the Alpena Fire Department, the fire started after material from inside the plant overheated in building #3. As a result of the fire, power was lost and a DPI employee sustained smoke inhalation.
The employee was transported to MidMichigan Medical Center. Alpena City Fire Chief Bill Forbush says, “Fires are common at the plant.”
No additional units assisted in the fire.