Alpena, MichiganLocal Weather Alerts
There are currently no active weather alerts.

Huron Shores Shootout Knocks Alpena Wildcats Out of Semi-Finals

ALPENA, MI – The Huron Shores Invitational was hosted at Wildcat Stadium and the Wildcats were in action today and were looking to win it all. They had won their opening match against Cheboygan earlier in the day which moved them to the semi-finals against Ogemaw Heights.

Alpena would win their first match 3-0 and were looking for a similar result here against Ogemaw.

Starting things off Abraham Brege gets a great through ball in between two defenders and he finds an opening to take his shot. It finds the bottom right corner and the Wildcats take the early lead.

The Falcons would later grab a scrapy goal from a long cross downfield. It finds Issac Devine and the keeper is just out of position and Issac gets the divine goal for Ogemaw Heights to tie up the game.

Next up is another great cross over to Issac Devine and he makes the effort to get a head on it before goalie Mason Bray can get to it. Devine would get the Falcons the lead with that goal. Mason Bray would come out of the game after that hit but he’d be back in later on.

Second half now and the Wildcats get a corner opportunity and Abraham Brege again gets the goal for Alpena and its tied up 2-2 now in this one.

Now coming towards the final minutes of the game, an Alpena handball in the box would give Ogemaw Heights a penalty. The Falcons would look to take the lead here but a clutch save from Mason Bray would stop it from happening. After taking a hit earlier in the game, he keeps his team from losing the lead and because of that save, it comes down to a shootout.

Currently 1-1 in the shootout, Mason Bray would get another great save and grab the lead for the Wildcats in the shootout.

Now it was just down to his teammates to put it away but a great save from Ryland McDaniels would square things up.

At the end of the day it would be the Falcons wining the shootout and moving on to the finals. Alpena loses in the shootout 2-4. They would later in the day lose to Traverse City Christian in the third place game 3-1.