FLAT ROCK, Mich. – Some Flat Rock residents are being asked to evacuate their homes due to hazardous fumes in the area.
Local and state health officials made the recommendation last week.
The fumes stem from a gasoline leak from a storage tank at a Ford assembly plant in the area.
The agencies said there are potential health and safety risks caused by the fumes.
Residents expressed a breakdown in communication at a community–wide conference Sunday.
“Well it’s kinda been going on for about 4–5 days. We haven’t really — it’s kind of a lack of transparency, “said one Flat Rock resident. “We haven’t really gotten answers to a lot of our questions, that’s why we’re here.”
The mayor of Flat Rock said the city is doing its best to help keep people informed.
“We’re going to be going door to door with information packets and we’re going to record your information as residents and community members of the city, and we’re going to keep in constant contact with you,” said Mayor Mark Hammond.
State health director Elizabeth Hertel said she doesn’t believe residents are in any imminent danger however, they are acting out of an abundance of caution.