ALPENA, Mich. —Emergency responders were called to a fire at Decorative Panels International this morning.
Police and fire got the call around 11:06 a.m. City of Alpena Fire Chief Bill Forbush says fires aren’t a rare occurrence at the facility.
“It’s a dryer for the hardboard that they make and that’s inherently a hazardous process because obviously, that wood powder is highly flammable. So they do get fires here quite regularly. Sometimes they get out of hand, and when they do, they call us.”
Forbush says there was extensive damage to machinery, but no one was injured in the fire.